Today’s episode is all about democracy — from the Russian efforts to de-legitimize a Clinton victory in 2016 with the #DemocracyRIP hashtag and media storm to those very same tactics being employed right now in 2019. Is a new California law requiring a presidential candidate to disclose his or her tax returns the answer? Listen and find out!
We begin with the release of the (Republican) Senate Intelligence Committee Report, Vol. I, which details the extent of the Russian government’s activities to infiltrate U.S. elections in 2016, including de-legitimatizing an expected Hillary Clinton victory with social media storming (and the #DemocracyRIP hashtag). It’s truly terrifying. And then we move from that report to something that looks to be in exactly the same vein after the second night of the Democratic primary debate. Coincidence or conspiracy? You decide!
After that, it’s time for a deep dive into California Bill SB27 which requires Presidential (and gubernatorial) candidates to disclose their tax returns. Find out what the media has mis-reported, what this bill actually does, why Andrew Was Wrong, and where the future is headed for mandatory disclosure requirements.
Then, we tackle another potential conspiracy theory — this time, that the California State Bar secretly leaked bar exam questions to certain elite law schools. Is it true? (Not really.)
After all that, it’s time for a brand new #T3BE on regulations regarding pasteurized beer. Will Thomas break his losing streak?
None! If you’d like to have either of us as a guest on your show, drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show Notes & Links
- Don’t forget that there are just 3 tickets remaining for Opening Arguments Live in New York on August 10, 2019! Click here to get your tickets before they’re gone!
- Here’s a link to the (heavily redacted) Vol. I of the Senate Intelligence Committee report on Russian interference in U.S. elections.
- This is the actual evidence related to #KamalaHarrisDestroyed, including (a) the Hill article and (b) the February 2nd, 2019 NBC News story.
- Click here to read California SB27.
- This is the ABA Journal article on the California bar, and this is the letter sent out to CA law school deans.
-Support us on Patreon at: patreon.com/law
-Follow us on Twitter: @Openargs
-And finally, remember that you can email us at email@example.com!