Finally wrapping up their four-part discussion of the 2000 U.S. Presidential election, Andrew and Thomas follow the Gore campaign’s lawsuit as it goes to the Supreme Court. How legitimate is Bush v. Gore? Does it hold water? Find out in this episode.
Show Notes & Links
- The Supreme Court’s decision in Bush v. Gore, 531 U.S. 98 (2000).
- Palm Beach County’s insane “butterfly ballot,” which resulted in thousands of extra votes for Pat Buchanan that were almost certainly intended for Al Gore.
- The American Political Science Review article referenced on the show which did a statistical analysis of the Buchanan “butterfly ballot” votes.
- Herron & Lewis’s 2006 political science article showing that Nader cost Gore the election in Florida even assuming no recount.
- One example of an early media report stating that Bush would have won with limited recounts of the sort Gore was seeking from the Florida courts.
- More recent studies indicate that if the recount had been allowed to proceed, Gore would have won.
Follow us on Twitter: @Openargs
And email us at firstname.lastname@example.org