In this week’s bonus episode, we tackle the breaking legal question of whether the RNC can legally replace Donald Trump as the Republican nominee for President, and if so, what the consequences would be. You don’t want to miss this episode!
In our opening segment, we bring back a classic “Breakin’ (Down) the Law” by examining whether President Trump (unlikely as that may seem) can legally ban all Muslims from entering the U.S. The answer may surprise you!
Finally, in our closing segment, we tackle a listener question from Daniel Andrew Duncan, who asks us to explain why you keep hearing that laws require 60 votes instead of a simple majority.
Show Notes & Links
- The relevant law that permits Trump to ban all Muslims from emigrating into the US is 8 USC § 1182(f).
- You can find the RNC Rules here.
- Here’s a link to the New Jersey Supreme Court’s decision in New Jersey Democratic Party v. Samson, 814 A.2d 1028 (2002); that’s the Torricelli/Lautenberg case.
- Here’s a link to all the states that have early voting.
- Finally, here’s a link to the “faithless elector” laws in 26 states.
Support us on Patreon at: patreon.com/law
Follow us on Twitter: @Openargs
And email us at firstname.lastname@example.org