Join us for an early Rapid Response Friday, in which we break down the Supreme Court’s decision in Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission. To tackle a topic this big, we needed a little extra help, so we brought back our favorite guest, Andrew Seidel, attorney with the Freedom From Religion Foundation. But that’s not all! We recorded so much information that we decided to do a crossover episode with Serious Inquiries Only, so you can have over two hours of Andrew-on-Andrew (and Thomas!) action.
We begin, however, on Yodel Mountain, with two pieces of news arising out of Paul Manafort’s criminal trial. Is Paulie M going to jail? Did he engage in illegal witness tampering? Did he back up his encrypted WhatsApp messages on an unencrypted iCloud? Listen and find out! We also delve into Manafort’s response to the press’s motion to unseal the Mueller investigation documents first discussed in Episode 168. And, as long as we’re yodeling, we might as well catch up on what’s going on in the Summer Zervos lawsuit first discussed in Episode 176.
After that, it’s time to figure out exactly what’s going on in Masterpiece Cakeshop. Is this a narrow decision? Is it a win for anti-LGBTQ forces? Is it a nothing-burger? Listen and find out!
Finally, we end with an all new Thomas Takes The Bar Exam #79 about the real property conveyance to a church. Yes, it’s more 13th-Century Saxony law! And if you’d like to play along , just retweet our episode on Twitter or share it on Facebook along with your guess and the #TTTBE hashtag. We’ll release the answer on next Tuesday’s episode along with our favorite entry!
Andrew and Andrew continued to talk Masterpiece Cakeshop on Serious Inquiries Only, and Andrew was a guest talking the same thing on Episode 177 of The Scathing Atheist.
Show Notes & Links
- Here’s the government’s motion to revoke Paul Manafort’s pretrial release. Witness tampering is a crime under 18 U.S.C. § 1512.
- We first discussed the press’s motion to unseal the Mueller investigation documents in Episode 168, and the Summer Zervos lawsuit back in Episode 176.
- We’ve uploaded Supreme Court’s decision in Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission so you can read it for yourself.
- If you love Andrew Seidel, you might want to go back to his FIVE previous appearances on the show, Episode 82 (on Trinity Lutheran), Episode 85 (which was originally a Patreon-only exclusive),Episode 111, Episode 131, and most recently, Episode 171.
- Finally, please consider supporting the Freedom From Religion Foundation.
Support us on Patreon at: patreon.com/law
Follow us on Twitter: @Openargs
Don’t forget the OA Facebook Community!
And email us at email@example.com
3 Replies to “OA180: Masterpiece Cakeshop”