Today’s Rapid Response episode takes a look at the just-released Law’d Awful Memo written by Attorney General nominee Bill Barr and sent to Deputy AG Rod Rosenstein concerning the Mueller investigation. Are the argument(s) raised in the memo any good? What does this mean for the future of the Mueller investigation? Listen and find out!
We begin, however, with a brief foray into everyone’s favorite show topic: BASEBALL LAW! Find out about the agreement reached between MLB and Cuba, and how (of course) Donald Trump can screw it up.
After that, it’s time for an Andrew Was Wrong (and Maybe Not Wrong) on David Pecker and AMI. Along the way, we’ll learn about the corruption case against Sun-Diamond Growers in connection with former Agriculture Secretary (and nearly-Senator) Mike Espy.
Then, we delve deeply into the Barr memo, taking apart the legal “arguments” and featuring a guest appearance from one Antonin Scalia!
Then, it’s time to tackle the rather surprising decision by Judge Sullivan in the Michael Flynn sentencing phase. What happened? Did he go off the rails?
After all that, we end with an all new Thomas (and Matt!) Takes The Bar Exam #106 on how to best transport heroin from Kansas City to Chicago and what the judge can instruct the jury… it’s complicated, but you won’t want to miss it! And, as always, if you’d like to play along with us, just retweet our episode on Twitter or share it on Facebook along with your guess and the #TTTBE hashtag. We’ll release the answer on next Tuesday’s episode along with our favorite entry!
None! If you’d like to have either of us as a guest on your show, drop us an email at email@example.com.
Show Notes & Links
- Check out Matt & Mattingly’s Ice Cream Social podcast!
- Baseball law: Here’s the press release from MLB.
- We discussed U.S. v. Sun-Diamond Growers of Calfornia, 138 F.3d 961 (D.C. Cir. 1998), aff’d, 526 U.S. 398 (1999).
- Don’t forget to read the Barr memo for yourself, and you can also check out the Wall Street Journal article that leaked it.
- …And here’s our good buddy Antonin Scalia smacking down the logic used therein.
- You can check out the government’s sentencing memorandum in Michael Flynn’s case as well as the memo filed by Covington & Burling on Flynn’s behalf.
- Here is the 18-3071 sealed case order.
Support us on Patreon at: patreon.com/law
Follow us on Twitter: @Openargs
Don’t forget the OA Facebook Community!
For show-related questions, check out the Opening Arguments Wiki
And email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
2 Replies to “OA237: Lowering the… Barr (Memo)”