Today’s episode features a deep dive into the latest developments in the lawsuit brought by parents of the victims in the Sandy Hook Massacre against Alex Jones and Infowars for repeatedly portraying the school shooting as a hoax.
We begin, however, with a question regarding our views of the 2016 Presidential Election from a Trump supporter who’s hate-funding us. Hey, we’re good to our word!
After that, it’s time to dig in to the defamation lawsuit against Alex Jones. We tackle the minutiae — standing, jurisdiction, statute of limitations — and the big issues as well. If you want to know where defamation law is headed in this era of “fake news,” well, this is the show for you!
Then, it’s time for a quick visit to Yodel Mountain to check in on Rudy Giuliani and Michael Cohen. Because of course it is.
Finally, it’s time for the answer to Thomas Takes The Bar Exam #110, which involved a dentist being sued for malpractice and product liability. As always, remember to follow our Twitter feed (@Openargs) and like our Facebook Page so that you too can play along with #TTTBE!
Show Notes & Links
1. NYT articles on using third-party votes to hack elections.
The Secret Social Media Experiment in Alabama Senate Race Imitated Russian Tactics and how the Democrats Faked Online Push to Outlaw Alcohol in Alabama Race.
2. Politico story on the Justice Democrats plans to mount primaries against incumbent Democrats it deems too moderate with the apparent backing of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.
3: NYT on Alex Jones and Sandy Hook
4. Media Matters 7 minute, 13 second compilation on Alex Jones about Sandy Hook.
5. Media Matters timeline of Jones promoting conspiracy theories about Sandy Hook.
6. Yodel Mountain: Rudy Giuliani is not helping!
7. WSJ on Cohen and poll-rigging and Cohen’s response on the story: “As for the @WSJ article on poll rigging, what I did was at the direction of and for the sole benefit of @realDonaldTrump @POTUS. I truly regret my blind loyalty to a man who doesn’t deserve it.”
8. The GLORIOUS “Women for Cohen” Twitter account: Because some things on twitter make you ask, “Why?”.
Support us on Patreon at: patreon.com/law
Follow us on Twitter: @Openargs
Don’t forget the OA Facebook Community!
For show-related questions, check out the Opening Arguments Wiki
And email us at firstname.lastname@example.org